Monday, July 16, 2012

Growing the Egyptian Walking Onion

Last year, in an article of Mother Earth News entitled "The Other Onions", I came across what I thought to be a very interesting plant, the Egyptian Walking Onion.
This Perennial onion has the interesting habits of multiplying by forming a head or "set" of many small onions on top of the green portion.  If allowed, the head will weigh down the plant, touch the ground and replant itself to grow more onions.  Thus the "Walking" in it's name. Here is a picture of the "set":

When I bought my first plant last fall at Common grounds in Palo Alto, It was one small plant in a pot for about $4?, I think.  It had one set with 2 onions formed.  As I transplanted the plant, I promptly picked off the 2 onions and planted those about 4 inches apart from the parent plant.  This morning (8 or 9 months later) all three had fully formed sets which I have taken off and replanted about 12 of the individual onions, again about four inches apart.  


Rather than allowing the onions to "walk"  I am choosing where I want to replant them.  I harvested about 50 small onions.  I planted 12. The other 38 or so that I did not replant, I will figure out a culinary use for.  I figure, from three plants I harvested about 50 onions, so from 15, I should get several hundred next time. 

I did eat one raw, as I often do with my homegrown produce.  It had a spicy and relatively strong onion flavor.  I think they would make great pickles, creamed onions, or I could use them in a stew or Coq Au Vin.  With less than 40,  I'll probably do something simple this time, but next crop will be fun. 

The Egyptian Walking Onion so far has been easy to grow.  I pretty much forget about it most of the time.  Pests leave it alone, and so far it has produced without any special care.  This is a great plant for kids, new gardeners, or anyone who just want to grow something fun and unique.  Besides, most of us who cook always need onions of all types. 

Until next time.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment